11.04.2009

addict

I'm finally getting back into this thing you guys! I secretly think it's because I'm on vacation with work, and therefore stranded on an island, with not ANYTHING to do once the babies go to sleep, and hey, I already finished the Twilight series (I know, I know), so what am I really gonna do?

A while back, I ate this crazy good dinner, at this crazy good restaurant and at the moment it totally inspired me, to like, think about things, life, how I need to do something with my life, creatively too you know, and all the JAZZ. And you know who I have to thank for all of this? DAVID CHANG. You inspire me David Chang. You and your little lucky peach restaurants, I can't get enough!!!

So yes, last night I ate at Ko. WHOA, you say. And I say, yes, it is true.

And then I will also say, this is what I ate:

Amuse bouche of smoked veal tongue with pickled cauliflower and a romaine sauce, topped w/ sesame seeds (This was so crazy delicious. Like never in a million years would I every think to order smoked veal tongue, or pickled cauliflower, or a combination, but this was a delicious, tender flavor explosion in my mouth.)

Tempura fried broccoli with cheddar sauce (Can't go wrong with tempura! This was obviously good, but I thought the least creative of all the dishes)

House made chichurrones (A bacon explosion in your mouth! So good and crunchy but buttery soft at the same time)

Black pepper biscuits (These were definitely one of my favorites of the whole meal. SO creamy and flaky and hard to explain. I never knew a biscuit could be so good!)

Spanish mackerel sashimi with mustard greens, mustard oil, puffed rice beads and pickled shallots (This was way good. I don't even like mustard that much and I was trying to get all the mustard oil onto the fish. It was again the flavor combination that everything just came together so perfectly.)

Tortellini made of daikon wrappers, filled with either caramelized onion or oxtail meat, in an oxtail consommé with thai basil, cilantro and bean sprouts (sort of like pho. really really good! Who knew I like oxtail?)

Slightly smoked egg stuffed with caviar, fingerling potato chips and an onion sous vide (totally ridiculous and yummmmmy [I am running out of words to describe the food!!])

Makatashi mushroom ravioli with shaved fresh makatashi mushroom, coriander and kashi and to finish with: Makatashi tea with pine needle oil and a french toast bite (What, a french toast bite to go with your mushroom pine needle oil tea? Yes lease. Perfect)

Roasted monkfish with Santa Barbara sea urchin in a spicy shellfish broth (lobster, shrimp) with daikon, kolrabi and fresh orange (Sea urchin was crazy! The rest of it was really really good, but I think i will need a while before I am "into" sea urchin)

Shaved foie gras over lychees, pine nut brittle and jellied Riesling (hmmm this was the only dish i wasn't crazy about and it was just because of the shaved foie gras. i respect what he was trying to do, and the rest of the dish was amazing, but i think i just might not like foie gras)

Venison with celery root whip and chestnut chips, shaved brussel sprouts and fresh huckleberries (YUMMMMMMMMY i love huckleberries and brussel sprouts and the venison was totally a great piece of meat, much like the veal tongue in that i never would have ordered by myself. the celery root whip was crazy. it came out of one of the home whipped cream dispensers and was almost as good as whipped cream. so fluffy, so light, so delicate)

Spiced white wine sorbet over diced Asian pears and elderflower syrup (One of the greatest experiences of my life! also a great way to cleanse my palate, slow down a bit and get ready for the last course because i was feeling REALLY full after the venison)

Goat's milk "cheesecake" with plumped cranberries, pumpkin crunch, ricotta curds, pumpkin oil and a butternut squash sorbet (Being partial to all sorts of squashes, pumpkins, butternuts, etc., this was right up my alley! I also like savory cheese desserts. Like marscapone ice cream? LOVE it.)


This has been seriously indulgent, and everyone who reads this blog has already heard all the details of my menu, but I wanted to make some sort of everlasting, public declaration of my love for Mr. Chang and how I believe he can do no wrong. I look forward to reporting back after my fried chicken dinner that I am having in January at one of his establishments!


No comments:

Post a Comment