11.26.2013

Let us go then, you and I


Found out about the wonderful comic book artist Julian Peters. He turns classic poetry into comic books and has recently begun to tackle one of my favorite T.S. Eliot poems, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.  It seems that he is going to turn the whole thing into a published book, and I cannot wait to get a copy, whenever that might be.

For your reading pleasure, the first 9 pages:












I've loved this poem since I was introduced to Eliot by one of my English teachers in high school. Now, I'm no artist, but back in college when I fancied that I might be, I made my own Prufrock art. Here he is:


I think I was going for:

For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, and afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
  So how should I presume?

And I have known the eyes already, known them all --
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulate, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
   And how should I presume?

(via The Rumpus)

No comments:

Post a Comment