2.04.2012

date stamp paintings





Federico Pietrella makes these "paintings" using only a date stamp - like the ones they used to use for the library cards in the pocket on the front or back cover, letting you know when you had to return the book. Actually I was recently reminded about those funny slips (since I rarely go to the library anymore because of my Kindle, which makes me pretty sad when I think about it, but this has just turned into a tangent of a tangent, so I'll stop) when I read Rebecca Makkai's fabulous book The Borrower. If you loved the library and devoured books of all types as a child, then this is just the quirky, sweet weekend read that you are looking for!

Anyway, I love stamps. I love dates. I love date stamps. I even have a date stamp like the one that it looks like he may have used to make these. It's leftover from my final thesis as a "Visual Arts" major in college, and I spent hours sitting in my studio stamping it for the final product (more on that some other time). These are pretty crazy amazing though, a new pointillism, no? It looks like they are different dates - how does he decide? He doesn't use the same date for the whole painting. Does he rotate, have different stamps? I'm so curious and so very impressed. They're beautiful to boot.

(via Colossal)

No comments:

Post a Comment